Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Thick n Beefy

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Thick n Beefy

    Lets argue about 1 piece sand cast 511 horns, i think they made em.

    ............... and i think Heath put a few in early Legatos.

    Check out the thickness in several areas including the driver flange. I would love to handle this one in person, outside of the fins i see no indication of a weld or seam where this would have been cast in two halves and welded together. Kinda looks like the flange was welded on.

    Whadda y'all think?

    Altec Lansing Horn 400-1 w/ 401-18 Driver - eBay (item 390079325174 end time Sep-06-09 13:51:08 PDT)
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    I handled one earlier this year and they are one piece sand cast. A much thicker casting than the standard 511 too. I can't remember if the flange was welded on though. I seem to think it was cast also.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    I also find it interesting that the "hanging points" appear to have been machined flat, and/or to a specific thickness.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    I don't think they're one piece. I think the seems were ground down smooth on the sides, although I can't explain the apparent lack of seems on the insides. Except to say that it's hard to tell with the graininess o the pictures. In looking at my 511's I see the driver flanges are machined flat. It's possible that they aren't machined, or left thicker on this horn. The front side of the driver flange looks a bit rough to me. The castings certainly do look a little different than mine...... the biggest being the center rib, on the back. Mine don't have that at all.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I also find it interesting that the "hanging points" appear to have been machined flat, and/or to a specific thickness.
    If you mean the 4 tabs near the mouth, I think it's the lighting and/or reflection. Mine are a uniform thickness, too, although I have to admit they do look a bit different, but I can't pin point why.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    ...I think the seems were ground down smooth on the sides...
    No way. Having disassembled a pair of the 2-pc castings, I know that's not possible. Each cast half has a bit of a turned-out flange at the weld line, to give a wide enough mating surface to allow for 4 locating pins (2 front, 2 in driver flange). You don't have to get anywhere near grinding the entire weld off before they literally explode from the relief of welding stress.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member Davidg's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2007
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    Yes Bowtie I think you are correct, I have seen cast 511's come up on e-bay exactly
    like those before, I'd love to own a pair!! I also know for a fact that they made one piece
    sand cast 811's because I own a pair of them. The vanes on the 811 are curved outward
    in the front not flat or straight up and down like later 811 or 511's, I read somewhere
    the cast 811's were prior 1952 but do not know if that is correct.
    Also as Bfsh stated the welding stress is very "strong" and part of the reason they all ring
    like a bell, I cut the flanges in the center on my 511's and on the end of my 811's and with
    every cut they made a pop or snap as the stress was relieved! A pair of cast 511's would
    be very cool to own!!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    They look solid cast to me too. There are some lines on the left two vanes in the photos....but those could be mold parting lines. The outside show no sign of two halves welded together....or grinding down.

    I think the labor intensive work to cast in one piece was probably phased out over time...and cheaper techniques were used....IMO

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member Davidg's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2007
    Posts
    76
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    Just to clear up my earlier post, I stated "I cut the flanges" When I should have said
    "I cut the vanes" of both my 811 and 511's the 511's I cut on the weld line in the center
    and the 811's because of the one piece casting I cut at the end of each vane tight
    against the horn so it would be less visible when filled with caulk, I think one of the best
    mods to reduce or eliminate the bell ring

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Thick n Beefy


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Thick n Beefy

    It's certain the original 811 was a one piece unit....I have had pieces of paper from Altec in my hands that said that...so it's not that much of a stretch to thinks some 511's were built that way....

    That said, they must not be common as I have not seen them in person...I have owned at least 50 or so, but most of mine were bought new in the 70's. I would suspect the one piece units would have been made 20 or so years before...

    Possibly a legend but...I was told that some early 311's were made with separate throats...this by an old fellow who had been at Altec a long time...anybody ever seen such a thing? I've googled dozens of times to no avail on that one...I suppose the only way I will ever know for sure is if one shows up somewhere...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.